If you’re reading this, you are probably a blogger wondering how to finally make money blogging. I asked my Instagram community what they struggle with the most when it comes to making money blogging. Now I am here to answer and hopefully help you make more money blogging this year!
If you are new here, let me tell you a little bit about my journey. I started my blog, Bonne Chic, back in August 2016. When I first started my blog, it was a blog about positive energy and it later transformed to what it is today. I thought that I could make money right away from my blog and I was hoping to leave my full-time job and work 100% for myself blogging. In the beginning, it was difficult and for many months, my blog made $0. I was so confused because there are so many bloggers who are making a lot of money from their blog and I was wondering what they were doing that I was not.
I struggled for a long time with my blog and I had a breaking point where I didn’t understand why what I was doing wasn’t working out for me. I ended up spending a lot more than my blog was making and I felt really defeated. During one of my biggest breakdowns I figured that maybe blogging wasn’t for me and I focused on my career and tucked my blog away on the shelf as it collected dust.
After having an a-ha moment and soon realizing that only I can create the life I want, I realized that I really wasn’t 100% happy in my career. I wanted to do something that would allow me to do whatever I wanted to do, whenever I wanted to do it and I resumed my blog. I started talking more about positive energy and I took my blogging business seriously. I stayed up late after work and on the weekends I dedicated my time to building my blog. In a short time span I was able to finally create a profitable blog. Finally, my blog was making money.
After blogging for almost 5 years now, I can truly say that earning money from blogging is possible and it can happen for you.
There are some things for you to consider when started a money making blog – you have to be dedicated, consistent and have a strategic plan to make it work.
So now you might be wondering, OKAY CLO – give me all the details! Not to worry, I am about to break it down on how you can start a money making blog!
Disclaimer: Affiliate links are used and you can read my full disclosure policy here.
A GOOD RULE OF THUMB:
- Your path is unique and will be different: Making money blogging may be different for you than how it was for me – or anyone else for that matter. Your pace will vary from someone else’s pace on making your first $100 blogging. Do not compare yourself to others and don’t let anything discourage you from your dreams.
- To make money blogging, you do have to take action. You also need to be willing to learn. This is the Digital Age and we live in a time where strategy and tactics are what works. Take in all that you learn and apply what works best for your. If something is too hard, take the time to learn it or ask for help. You have to do some hard stuff sometimes in order to grow.
- Never give up. Making money blogging is possible. I’m living proof of it and there are so many other bloggers out there who earn a living blogging as well. It may get frustrating at times and it may seem like all your effort isn’t working for you. You just have to take actionable steps, and you don’t give up, Believe in what you are doing and in yourself and it will happen for you.
IS IT REALLY POSSIBLE TO MAKE MONEY BLOGGING WITH LITTLE BLOG TRAFFIC?
ABSOLUTELY! It is possible for sure. One of the ways I used to make my very first sale of $65 was using Pinterest (we’ll talk more about this later in the post). I did not have any blog traffic, a very small email list of about 200 subscribers and a very tiny social media following. I made sure that I was able to provide value to my audience (albeit small) and build trust with them.
Once you build trust with your audience and begin to understand their pain points, you can then begin to create content that solves their problems. You have to ask yourself: What is the 1 major problem that my audience is facing? What can I do to help my audience solve their biggest problem?
Example: If you are a finance blogger, maybe your audience struggles with credit card debt. Maybe they struggle with paying off bills. You can create content centered around these problems. You can come up with ways to make money from home. You can offer advice on how they can save money every month. The possibilities are endless, you just have to do the research and stay on top of trends so your audience looks to you as the expert.
Example: If you are a lifestyle blogger who talks about wellness, personal growth and business tips, your audience might need help with obtaining personal goals, inspiration or maybe they may struggle with creating an online business of their own. You can teach them how they can reach goals, inspire them to better themselves and show newbie online business babes how they can start a business, too.
The key here is to figure out and pinpoint what your audience needs from you. Ask yourself what defines you ask in expert in your field. Once you’ve narrowed this down, you can create solutions for your audience (courses, ebooks, templates, etc.) and start making money.
HOW DO YOU BUILD THAT TRUST WITH YOUR AUDIENCE?
- Offer QUALITY AND VALUABLE information. If you provide value for free, they know that your paid content will be worth it because you are offering value. Never slack on the quality of your content. Always strive for providing the best information and they will keep coming back for more and more.
- Don’t be pushy. When it comes to talking about the products and services you are offering, you want to be casual and natural. You do not want to be pushy – that will only push folks away. Be natural and be yourself when you are talking about what you have to offer.
- Engage with your audience. Don’t ignore your audience. Always make sure that when someone comments or likes your post, you take the time to respond back and like their latest post as well. A little goes a long way and building those connections is key to building a community and an engaging audience. Plus, your audience would be thrilled that you took the time out to like and comment on their posts as well. 🙂
WHEN CAN I START MAKING MONEY FROM MY BLOG?
You can start today! It comes down to the affiliate marketing program you belong to. There are so many that you can apply to. Some have certain requirements that need to be met and others do not. The same goes for brands as well, if you decide to work with brands. Some brands require that you have a specific amount of followers and an engaged audience. More brands are becoming open to offering brand deals with bloggers and influencers with smaller audiences but who have high engagement rates.
My first brand partnership was in 2019 when I switched over to create more of a lifestyle-centric blog instead of just blogging about making money blogging. I created a new Instagram account, specifically for my new niche and I landed several brand deals. After a year of experimenting and working with brands, I decided that I really enjoyed affiliate marketing and creating courses instead of working with brands.
As time goes on, my feelings may change but as for now, my favorite mode of making money online is affiliate sales followed by course creation.
Now that you understand the basics for building a foundation as well as some of the ways you can make money blogging, let’s dive deeper into the different types of ways you can actually make money blogging and taking the steps to making them happen.
1. AFFILIATE MARKETING
This is by far my favorite way to make money blogging. It is also one of the ways that a lot of bloggers start off with to monetize their blogs right away. Affiliate marketing can help you to gain sales without having a product or service. It may not be the easiest way, as it definitely takes strategy to make money through affiliate marketing but it definitely is rewarding.
Basically you join an affiliate program and receive an affiliate link for a product/service you use and love. When you mention this product or service in your blog post and someone clicks on your links (and purchases the product or service) you make a commission. YAY!
A lot of bloggers ask me in my Facebook community about ways to make more affiliate sales and how to succeed with affiliate marketing. I’ve outlined below what you need to do to start making money with affiliate marketing.
STEP 1: JOINING AFFILIATE PROGRAMS.
To start making money with affiliate marketing, you first need to join affiliate programs. My recommendation is that you join high-paying affiliate programs. The work is the same, whether the commission is high or low, so in my opinion, you might as well join programs with higher commission payouts.
For affiliate programs (depending on your niche) I recommend checking out:
- Share A Sale (they have some high paying programs)
- Siteground (hosting company)
- Namecheap (hosting and domain company)
- Tailwind (Pinterest and Instagram scheduling app. Get $15 free credit when you sign up through my link!)
- LeadPages (Create websites and landing pages. Try 14 days for free when you sign up with my link!)
- MaxBounty (Affiliate Marketing Platform)
These are all programs I have been apart of.
- Have a professional self-hosted blog with your own domain name. You can check out Bluehost if you have not purchased your own domain yet. If you plan to build an audience and make money from your blog, having a free blog, for example: (www.yourblogname.wordpress.com) will not look professional to your audience. Owning your own domain name (www.yourblogname.com), looks professional and builds trust with your audience that you are an authority figure in your niche.
- Have a few posts up before applying. I recommend having 5-10 blog posts up before applying to any opportunities. You want to show that you are a consistent blogger.
- When applying, make sure you talk about how you plan on promoting the affiliate links.
HOW CAN I MAKE MONEY BLOGGING IF I DON’T TALK ABOUT MAKING MONEY BLOGGING?
When I first started my blog, I used to talk about making money blogging and then recently I switched gears to more of a lifestyle and travel blog. The truth is, you don’t need to talk about making money from your blog to earn money by blogging. There are so many blogs that are wildly successful that don’t even touch on the topic.
You can blog about anything you want. Whether that is fashion, lifestyle, beauty, food, parenting, tech, you name it – the sky is endless when it comes to making money blogging.
Something that is very important to have when you go into making money blogging is changing the way you think. Crafting a more positive mindset is key to being successful because what we think about and focus on grows and expands. So, my advice is to focus on what you really want to blog about and stick with it. You can literally do anything you put your mind to!
CREATING A RESOURCE PAGE
Creating a resource page can be extremely helpful. You can add your affiliate links so that other bloggers can use them to help them in their blogging journey. You also can use your resource page to add all your products you have used to help you grow as a blogger. Make sure you add your affiliate links as this is your opportunity to share your useful tools to other bloggers.
What can you add to your resource page? You can add anything from any courses you have taken, themes for your blog, plugins, email list builders, SEO tools and anything under the sun you can think of that will be helpful to your audience.
Make sure you add your resource page to your main menu. This way, any blogger who comes across your blog can easily find it. Another way to promote your resource page is by scheduling it on Pinterest. You can boost your pageviews and create higher chances of your affiliate links getting clicked. We all want that, right 🙂
Now that we have talked about affiliate links, let’s discuss how to get clicks to those links to making money. Here are my top tips and what I have done that works for me:
- Talk about the products naturally in every blog post you can. You don’t want to be spammy or salesy. Be your genuine self.
- Promote your affiliate links on Pinterest (my fave!) If you want to up your Pinterest game, I highly recommend you check out this course.
- Make sure you are using text links instead of banner ads when you are promoting your affiliate links. Text links naturally flow better in your blog and look a lot less spammy. Plus, your audience may be tempted to click more on your text links, which is good news for you!
- When sending out an email to your email subscribers, make sure to add your affiliate links that may be helpful to your audience. Make sure you always disclose when there are affiliate links in your email so your audience is made aware.
- If you have your own Facebook group, another way to promote your affiliate links is by sharing them in your group. If you don’t have your own group, share them in other groups that allow for affiliate links or product/service promotion. If you would like to join my Facebook group, you can check it out here.
HOW TO MAKE AFFILIATE SALES VIA PINTEREST
NOTE* – When you are pinning via Pinterest you must share that you are using affiliate links in the description of your pin. Also keep in mind that not all affiliate programs allow you to pin affiliate links as a way of promoting their product or service. Also double check before you pin any of your links.
CREATING A PIN
When on Pinterest, one of the best ways to make sales is to share your affiliate links on Pinterest. You can do this by simply creating a pin as you normally would and link your affiliate link as the destination website.
If you are a lifestyle blogger, pin images of you and link to your affiliate link. It could be an outfit of the day pin or whatever type of pin you want it to be – just make sure to say something relevant in the title so that when people click on your link, it takes them to what is mentioned in the title.
Below are a few affiliate product suggestions for a few different niches that you can pin on Pinterest.
- Fashion Accessories
- Travel Images
- Home Decor
- Baby toys
- Children’s Clothing
- Baby Products
- Meal Prep
- Kitchen Appliances
These are just a few ideas that can help you make money on Pinterest. Amazon Affiliates is a great place to start earning commissions and are relevant for all niches listed above.
STEP FOUR: DISCLOSING
Now that you are using affiliate links, you need to make sure you are disclosing that your blog posts and Pinterest pins contain affiliate links. If you are working with brands, it is a MUST that you disclose this information. It is super important to have a disclosure policy.
When you are disclosing your links, you must always disclosure before your affiliate links are mentioned in your post. Here is an example:
I insert my disclaimer BEFORE I mention any affiliate links. Make sure you do the same for your posts.
CREATING PRODUCTS TO SELL
When it comes to making money blogging, this one is one of my faves! Creating digital products to sell is so rewarding and the best part is – you can create anything you want!
YOU MIGHT BE ASKING YOURSELF, WHAT PRODUCT SHOULD I CREATE?
Here are some examples:
- Membership Programs
- Stock Images
- Recipe Books
- Style guides
You can literally create anything you put your mind to. The sky is the limit on this one. Creating a digital product can be very rewarding. The best part is, with a lot of digital products, once you create it, you can sell it over and over again, without having to do much work.
2. OFFERING SERVICES
Another amazing way to make money blogging is to offer services.
Another great way to make money blogging is by offering services. Are you REALLY good at something that your audience might NEED?
For example, I offer Pinterest management services and blog coaching. I love working with other bloggers who are looking to grow and monetize their blog through my coaching services and Pinterest marketing services. I consider myself very good at both so I offer those services.
OTHER SERVICES PEOPLE LIKE TO OFFER:
- Social Media Management
- Graphic Design
- Web Developing
Think about what your audience needs and what their pain-points are and focus on providing services that solve those problems. Figure out what they are struggling with and provide a solution to help them. If you can provide a solution for your audience, you are golden. This is how you can create services to help them solve their problems.
YOU MIGHT BE THINKING, HOW CAN I FIND CLIENTS?
- Build trust, connections and authenticity with your readers through email marketing
- Use your social media to engage with your audience and tell compelling stories through Facebook and Instagram stories
- Create a Facebook community to connect with your audience on a more personal level and get clients that way.
Make sure you are engaging with your audience. It is ok to talk to them and ask them questions. If you feel this to be a bit overwhelming, have Facebook admins help you to engage your community. You can do anything but you can’t do everything 🙂
WHAT’S A SCHEDULE LOOK LIKE FOR A FULL TIME BLOGGER?
It totally depends! Some days are better than others but here is a bit about my schedule and what I do.
I TYPICALLY LIKE TO:
- Wake up at 4:30 am and spend time reflecting and doing self-care
- I then do my morning workout and I’m done by 7 am
- I write in my journal about all I have and what I am grateful for
- At around 8 am I check my phone or laptop and go through emails
- I go through my social channels and see what the scheduled posts are for the day and double check that everything is on schedule
- I interact with my audience on social once my posts are live
- If I have client work for the day, I spend my time on that
- I check emails again for a second time around noon
- I work on Pinterest and create more pins
- I work on blog posts
- I edit my videos and content
If I don’t have any travel plans, usually on a Friday or Saturday, I schedule my Pinterest pins on Tailwind for the month. I absolutely LOVE Tailwind and it has played a significant part in growing my blogging business income and saving me so much time. It is a must-have in my opinion. You can try Tailwind for free when you sign up via my link to see if it is a tool you can use in your business.
Each day is different for me but for the most part, this sums it up. I will say that having a schedule is helpful and is actually highly recommended if you want to take your blogging business serious. Before I started planning out content and my day, nothing was written down so nothing got done. Once I started taking my business serious and treating it like a business, everything started working out for me in my favor. It is so helpful!
HOW DID I KNOW I WAS READY TO BLOG FULL TIME?
I had money saved up and I had planned for 6 months to take the leap of faith. I wanted to make sure I was secure financially before leaving my corporate job. I was scared, to be honest but I wanted to do something that made me light up every day and something to call my own.
Unlike a lot of other people, I loved my job and what I did; I just wanted more from life. Because of that I planned my exit from my job to work on my blog.
Though there have been times where I have been frustrated, I have not looked back and I can honestly say my life has improved for the better. I feel extremely blessed and grateful that I get to work remote 100% and I have been able to travel the world and grow in so many ways. It is definitely rewarding but it does take work.
If you are starting a blog and you want to one day run your own blogging business, YOU CAN DO IT! As long as you have a solid plan in place and you take the necessary action steps, you will be successful.
I really hope that this post has been super helpful to you and if you loved it, I would love to hear from you in the comments. If you want to grow your blog income and make this the year that you finally reach your blogging income goals, drop a “GOAL GETTER” in the comments!
I’d love to hear from you 🙂