If you’re looking to start a WordPress blog on Bluehost, you’re in the right place. Especially if you’re looking to start a blog the right way. In this post, I’m going to lay out the steps in order to creating a WordPress blog; the only blog that you’ll need to be successful as a blogger.
This post was last updated August 3, 2020.
Firstly, if you don’t already, you’re going to want to create a WordPress site and sign up for a domain name if you don’t have one. WordPress sites are the best to start a blog. They give you 100% control over your look and feel and you are able to customize your site as you like. Bluehost offers a free WordPress site and a free domain name when you sign up with them for hosting.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure for more information.
Today, you will learn how to create a blog on your own and how to start WordPress blog on Bluehost. Blogging has changed my life and has allowed me financial freedom beyond my dreams. I love helping people and I love writing. I’m hoping to help you along your journey in starting your own blogging empire.1 The best part is that you can start a blog for just a few bucks a month. That’s less than a coffee at Starbucks. By starting your blog, you’ll also receive a free domain through my link as well. Act quickly though as I’m not sure how long these low prices will last!
Click here to start a blog on WordPress, then use the steps below for easy directions.
If you’re looking to start a WordPress blog for cheap, then choosing Bluehost for your hosting needs may be your answer. Bluehost is a great web host and I personally have had a great experience with them.
I am able to work from wherever I want, I travel whenever I want and I am living in my dreams.I am so thankful and happy about how much my life has improved in just the past couple years.
Anyone who is looking to make money online can start a WordPress blog. The money I invested in my blog was made back almost immediately when I switched to a WordPress blog. I was able to have full control over my site and full control over earning money online.
Bluehost is one of the top web hosting companies and I highly recommend them. You can start your own blog with them for as low as $3.95 a month. By signing up through my link, you will get a free domain, free WordPress installation for your blog, 24/7 support and a money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied. I highly recommend signing up for the 12 month plan through Bluehost. It’s super affordable and you can save a lot of money by signing up. What I like about Bluehost is that there are no contracts. Once you sign up and you decide to change your mind and cancel, you can do so at anytime; even if it’s months down the road.
If you’re serious about learning to start a WordPress blog, self-hosting is the way to go. Before I switched to Bluehost, I used to host with GoDaddy. In my opinion, it wasn’t as easy and translucent as Bluehost is and that’s why I made the switch. I am saving a lot more money with Bluehost which is also WordPress-friendly.
I am not super tech-savvy. Tech stuff gives me a headache and that’s why I pass tech stuff off to my tech gal. When I signed up with Bluehost, I was able to install my WordPress site and create it on my own. Bluehost is the most user-friendly site to navigate you through installing WordPress. If you like easy, I’d go the Bluehost route.
It’s important to understand that self-hosting your site is highly recommended if you plan on using it as a business. Using any other means of creating income besides self-hosting can make cases very difficult. Here are a few reasons why:
- Advertisers & companies look away from blogs that are not professionally hosted
- Very limited control over look and feel of your blog
- Unnecessary ads displayed over your blog; giving it a very unprofessional look and feel
There are many reasons for why you may want to choose Bluehost for your WordPress blog and I honestly believe they are one of the best web hosting providers. These reasons include:
- Anybody can create a WordPress blog easily.
- FREE technical support to answer any questions you have
- This is EXTREMELY affordable and provides super cheap web hosting.
- You’ll get a FREE domain name.
- WordPress through Bluehost is absolutely FREE.
- You will be self-hosted. If you want to earn money through your blog, you’ll want to will want to be self-hosted.
- You will appear much more credible and professional to your audience; which is key.
You need to get started now. There hasn’t been a better time to start than the present moment. I started my self-hosted blog on WordPress through Bluehost over 2 years ago. Since then I have made an extravagant passive online income that has allowed me to replace a six figure salary. I’m now free to do what I want, when I want. Take the same exact steps I did to change your life and live how you want. The time is now.
How To Start A WordPress Blog on Bluehost
1. You need a domain name.
You can click here to purchase a domain name and create a blog, then follow the steps below.
Think about what you want your domain name to be. It can be your name, a quirky saying that fits the niche you plan on blogging about, something that you find passionate, a nickname…literally ANYTHING can be a domain name. Whatever you find interesting is what you should decide to name your blog. Just think about Google. Who knew that “Google” would be a household name…get creative!
Get your domain directly through Bluehost and make the whole process super simple. If you do this, you’ll get aFREE domain for the first year if you purchase 12 months of Bluehost hosting.
When you select the 36 month plan, you get the best pricing for only $3.95 per month. This is a great deal, considering you’ll receive 3 years of hosting for your blog as well as Domain Privacy Protection, which is a must-have for bloggers. This keeps your information and privacy safe from hackers who lurk the Internet. I highly recommend this, as it’s checked above. The other services are unnecessary at this time as I left them unchecked.
2. Buy hosting for your blog.
Let’s talk about all the costs of blogging:
- To receive the cheapest price to start a blog, then choosing the “Basic” plan is really all you need. It’s only $3.95 per month through my link if you sign up for 36 months. If you sign up for a 24 month plan, then the price is $3.95 per month. Or If you sign up for a 12 month plan, then the price is $4.45 per month. $4.45 is still very affordable and it’s a great plan to choose (especially since you get a free domain at this price). And If you purchase a 12 month plan, your total price is only $53.40 a year, which is still a great price. Plus, you still receive the free domain name when you sign up for 12 months or more which saves you money.
- The Basic plan is all you really need for now to get started.
- Domain Privacy Protection is something to be considered. It’s FREE through my link. This is a must-have so that your contact information stays safe. I highly recommend this because having a secure site is super important.
- Signing up through my link allows you to get your domain name for free as long as you purchase at least the 12 month plan.
Why you should get at least a 12 month plan.
I want to reiterate why you should purchase at least a 12 month hosting plan. Month-to-month is less effective, and I highly recommend signing up for a minimum of 12 months for many reasons. By signing up for a minimum of 12 months, you will receive a free domain name, lower pricing, and you won’t have to deal with an expired website after each month. For example, if hosting is not renewed or if the card expires, then your website is down and you risk losing business (visitors/traffic) when you pay on a month-to-month basis. It’s also exceptionally more expensive to pay month-by-month rather than in one lump sum. The more years you sign up for, the less you pay.
You can also receive a refund at any time, so I highly recommend signing up for the 12 months as it is the cheapest option. Some people think that if they sign up for a yearly term then they are locked in a contract. However, that is not true. There are no contracts and you will be refunded should you decide to cancel. It’s a full refund within 30 days and then pro-rated after that. So whatever you don’t use, you’ll get back. There’s really no risk!
Blog hosting will most likely cost you less than $54 a year on average, or less than $96 for 3 years, which is a great deal! If you purchase a 12 month plan, your total price is under $54 a year, which is a great price.
When you are ready to create your blog, follow the steps below to buy hosting for your blog.
- Go to Bluehost and click the “Get Started Now” button.
- Click the package you are interested in.
- Enter your domain name you registered with earlier, or sign up for a new domain name here.
- Enter your personal information and payment information.
- Next you will be asked to enter a password. Make sure it’s secure as this information is very important.
3. Connect your domain and your hosting.
Note: You can skip this section (Section 3) if you buy your domain directly through Bluehost.
If you buy your domain through Go Daddy, then you will need to connect your domain to your hosting account. Go Daddy has a full support page for setting nameservers for your domain names. Below is a snippet:
“When you register a domain name with us, we set it up on our parked nameservers so a temporary page displays when visitors go to your website. After you determine which hosting provider to use, you can change your domain name’s nameservers to remove the parked page and activate your domain name.
If you registered your domain name with another provider, you can still purchase a hosting account with us, use our Off-site DNS services, or use our CashParking® or Quick Content services. If you do any of those, you must view your nameservers in your account with us, and then set the nameservers with your domain name registrar.”
How to modify your DNS Nameservers when you are using Go Daddy for your domain and Bluehost for your hosting:
- Log into the GoDaddy.com Account Manager.
- Select Manage Domains from the Domain Names drop-down menu or the Manage Your Account list.
- Select the domain name you wish to modify using the checkboxes and then click Set Name Servers.
- Enter your updated name server information in the spaces provided under the blue Name Servers heading on the right side of your page and click Save Changes at the bottom. Your entries should look like this: ns1.bluehost.com; ns2.bluehost.com.
You’ll need to add the domain you bought (for example through GoDaddy) as an add-on domain to your Bluehost web hosting. You can do this by clicking on the “Domains” tab when logged into your Bluehost account. Click on “Assign” and follow the steps. It’s super easy.
4. Installing WordPress on Bluehost.
The final step we’ve all been waiting for. Setting up WordPress on Bluehost. This step isn’t difficult at all. It’s super easy to create a WordPress blog and the best part is that it’s 100% free.
- In your cPanel (you’ll get a link in your welcome email from Bluehost), click on the image that says “One Click Install”.
- From there, click on the WordPress icon on the next page located under “Blogs”.
- Click the “Start” button. This begins the installation.
- Next up, you’ll have to decide which domain you’ll want to install WordPress on. Click the dropdown menu to the domain you plan on using (this applies if you have multiple domains).
- Next you’ll see “Advanced Options”. You choose your username and password for your WordPress website here. You should choose something secure to avoid hackers. As a rule of thumb, do not use “Admin” as your username. Use something that is difficult to guess and secure. Next, you’ll want to check “Automatically create a new database for this installation”.
- Finally, click “Install Now”.
- Please don’t forget to save your username and password.
Yay, you made it! You now have an awesome WordPress blog. You’ll now want to work on the design of your site and creating compelling content. This is all just the beginning to building your blogging empire. You’ve come so far and I’m so proud of you!
Leave a comment and tell me how you’re doing on setting up your blog!