I started my blog in 2016, and it’s something that has completely changed my life.
I always had hopes of earning money online but I wasn’t sure how to earn money from blogging. After trial and error and finally figuring it out, I’ve created a successful blog that allows to me live life on my terms.
Because of my great experience with blogging, I’ve decided to create a course for brand new bloggers. I wanted to share with others who have aspirations to make an income from blogging that it totally is possible. If you believe you can, than nothing can stop you.
There is a lot of confusion and wrong information on the Internet. A lot of people will tell you that “blogging is dead” or that you “can’t make money from blogging”. That can’t be further from the truth! While everyone’s experience is different, I know a lot of bloggers who are earning money online. So can you 🙂
While blogging is fun and rewarding, it is also work. What you put out, you get back in return. As long as you work at blogging, step by step, you’ll reach your goal of having a successful blog.
I get a ton of questions from readers who are curious about earning money through blogging. I’ve compiled a list of the top ten common questions I am asked about earning money through blogging.
- How To Earn Money As A Freelance Writer for Beginners
- How To Start A WordPress Blog
- How I Make Over $10,000 Per Month Blogging
Here are the top 10 questions about earning money through blogging:
1. It’s 2018. Is it too late to start a blog?
Absolutely not! As a matter of fact, it’s a perfect time to start blogging!
People will always say a market is too saturated to get into. No market is ever too saturated. You just have to come up with a plan on how to stand out from the crowd.
I started my blog in 2016 and my blog is still fairly new. If I can start a blog, so can you. It’s never too late to start. You just have to begin!
There is plenty of growth opportunities for brand new bloggers. The world is a large place and it’s forever changing. We are constantly moving towards a more digitalized world with the ever-changing evolution of technology. Having a money making blog is one of the smartest things you can do.
Opportunities for earning money blogging will forever increase. Companies are always looking for social media influencers and bloggers to promote their products and brands. There is always an abundance of opportunity waiting for you. Earning money through blogging will continue to be an industry that will increase. You should start now!
If you are thinking about starting a blog, the time to start is now. There is someone out there in the world who needs to hear what you have to say. If you want to start a blog and are unsure of where to begin, I recommend you sign up for my free course on starting your blog from scratch.
2. How do I make money from blogging?
Blogging is so much fun to me. The opportunities are endless when it comes to making money blogging. You just have to find the best ways that work for you. I’ll dig into ways that I currently make money blogging.
Growing an email list is the most important key to starting a blog. In order to start a profitable blog, you need an email list. If you are new to blogging and don’t have an email list, I have a free course on growing your list from scratch. If you’re looking to grow and email list from scratch, I recommend you check out my course here.
Having an email list means you have your own loyal fans. You don’t have to worry about building a business on a platform that isn’t yours to own. The eBay’s and Amazon’s of the world have all of their customers information, such as their email addresses. You, as a seller on those platforms, do not have that information. Even though someone can earn quite a bit of money selling on third-party platforms, they don’t have access to their customers email addresses.
Having your own email list means that you have access to your own tribe of people who want to hear from you. It’s never too late to start growing your list! If you don’t have one or want to learn how to grow your current list, I recommend you sign up for my free course. It provides a lot of value for beginners who are interested in starting a list from scratch.
Affiliate marketing is another way that I earn money through my blog. Quite simply, it means that when I place a link on my blog post about another service or product, if someone purchases through my link, I will get a commission.
Here is an example of an affiliate link:
The affiliate links are highlighted in gold. This particular post is talking about Bluehost (this is my affiliate link). I use Bluehost to host my own site and I also promote it to other bloggers who are looking to start a blog. Whenever someone clicks on my link and makes a purchase through it, there is no additional cost. I receive a commission from someone using my link, as a referral, to Bluehost.
If you are looking to earn money through affiliate marketing, I recommend my course, The Blogging Empire Guide, which gives a detailed, step-by-step framework for building a blog with affiliate marketing and other techniques. When I made my first sale through Bluehost, I was extremely happy! Even though I just earned a commission of $65, it was proof enough that affiliate marketing worked and that I could earn money online. If you’re looking for a course on affiliate marketing, I suggest you check out my course I created that gives you my exact methods for scaling and growing your blogging business. You can check it out here.
3. What should I blog about?
There are endless topics and niches to blog about. When I first began my blog, I actually blogged about fashion and travel. It’s something I was really passionate about. After some time, I realized I wanted to help people earn money online. I changed my blog to focus on that (but kept the girly name, hence, Bonne Chic).
I suggest you focus on blogging about something you enjoy. The opportunities are endless. Here is a short list of some ideas to get your creative juices flowing 🙂
- Travel + Leisure
- Food yum 😛
- Tiny House Living
- Mommy blogging
- Daddy blogging
- The list is endless!
4. What platform should I use to start my blog?
If you plan on taking your blog serious and earning money from it, I suggest you self-host your blog. I recommend you start a blog using WordPress (this is my tutorial on starting a WordPress blog from scratch).
I do not recommend using free sites such as Blogger.com, Weebly or even WordPress.com (which is the free site version, you want to go self-hosted if you plan on earning money through your blog). It looks unprofessional and it leaves you with a website looking like this: yourblogname.blogger.com. Even though sites like those offer a domain name for around $10, you don’t own that website.
I suggest going through Bluehost to self-host your own website, which you will own. They also provide you with a free WordPress site with a 1-click install. That means you don’t need to be a techie to start your blog! They also provide 24/7 support in case you need help with anything.
If you are serious about earning money through your blog, I suggest self-hosting your site. It will definitely increase your changes for earning income
The best reasons to become a self-hosted blogger in my opinion are:
- You can earn money from your blog
- You own your domain
- Your site can’t be deleted or taken down
- You have 100% control over your blog
5. Do I need a huge audience or a lot of followers to earn money blogging?
Absolutely not! I know bloggers who started with very little pageviews and small followings who earned a killing online. These bloggers grew their business slowly and over time increased their audiences and their income.
A mountain wasn’t built in a day and neither was a multi-million dollar blog. It takes time to get where you want to go with your blog.
Make sure you have a plan in place. If you’re a brand new blogger, maybe your goal for your first month should be to reach 100 pageviews. This may seem like a very small number at first but over time it will increase. Take tiny, achievable goals rather than trying to aim for 1oo,ooo pageviews in your first month which will be extremely difficult to realistically achieve.
The key to having a large amount of followers or a large audience is to understand what your readers want. Once you are able to identify a problem that needs to be solved and are able to effectively deliver the message, you will become unstoppable when it comes to earning income online.
There are many different ways to increase your audience and your pageviews online. Here are some tips:
1. Be active on Pinterest. Pinterest is one of my favorite social media outlets and my favorite resource for traffic. I recommend posting high-quality images that are stunning and catchy. I recommend using Picmonkey to edit your pictures. I use Tailwind to schedule my pins.
If you sign up to Tailwind through my link, you’ll receive a $30 account credit 😛
2. Publish high-quality content. Content is queen. Your content should be of superb, high quality. Generally, my posts are between 1,500 to 5,000 words. I also publish evergreen content. You want to make sure you post relevant, helpful content which will be useful to your readers. You don’t have to post everyday but try to post on a schedule where new content is available regularly.
3. Network with other bloggers. Blogging is so much fun. It’s even more fun when you get to meet other people who are doing what you’re doing and know exactly what you’re going through! Making blogger friends is great and one of the best things I can suggest to do to start building a tribe of blogger friends. Not only can you exchange ideas, you can also pick each other’s brains and have an accountability partner with you every step of the way.
Don’t ever feel like you have to go through your blogging journey alone. Having a group of other supportive people who are on similar paths is always great. It can help to keep you accountable, feel motivated and help you to reach your goals in your blogging business. If you’re looking for a great community of other bloggers and entrepreneurs, I recommend joining my private Facebook community, The Successful Entrepreneur.
4. Guest Post. Guest posting is awesome. This can lead to other readers checking out your posts and subscribing to your email lists. It’s an awesome way to grow your audience and your blog.
6. What’s your process for scheduling your blog content?
When it comes to my blogging schedule, I’m very sporadic. I don’t really stick to a particular schedule 100% of the time. Usually, the most important things for me to do in my blogging business is to always work on creating relevant, quality content and to stay active on Pinterest. My process is pretty much routine when I am posting content or preparing to come up with ideas for a new post. Here is what I typically do when I create a new blog post:
- I come up with ideas for my post. I typically always have an idea in the back of my mind for what I want to write about. I usually try to focus on hot topics that my audience wants to read about. Since my blog is geared around new bloggers and making money online, I typically stay within my niche. Once I get some ideas flowing, I create drafts in WordPress.
- I then focus on writing my content. Since I know my niche well and I’m passionate about it, I begin to write what I feel and how I can help someone who may be searching for advice on my idea. For example, someone may be searching “how to start a blog from scratch”. I’ll write a post, giving a detailed explanation for starting a blog from scratch. I put myself in the readers shoes. If I were searching for a post on starting a blog, what would I look for? I try to write detailed, quality posts. That’s why they are typically 1,500 words or longer.
- I then add my affiliate links if and when necessary. I make sure that I am linking relevant information in my posts. If I don’t find it relevant or helpful to my readers, I don’t post it.
- I add links to my other posts. I only link content in posts that are relative and helpful to what I am writing. This way it’s easy for someone to find related topics I’ve already covered.
- I add in my opt-in forms. I am always constantly working on growing my email list. Being able to get new subscribers is a must on every single blog post.
- I read, re-read and re-read what I wrote again and again until it’s perfect. I want to make sure that my work is flawless and error-free. Proofreading and editing are key.
- I add my images. I usually do this first if I’m feeling super creative but sometimes I do it last after the writing has been done. I then upload my image into my post.
- I schedule my pin to Pinterest! Probably my favorite step. I am a newfound lover of Pinterest. This also allows me to share my most recent posts on Pinterest which helps to drive traffic to my blog; which is free traffic by the way. This is always a plus! 🙂
- I email my subscribers. Once I hit publish, an automated email goes out to my list to let my subscribers know that a new blog post is up on Bonne Chic. This is my typically process and this has worked well for me.
7. How long does it take to earn money from blogging?
To be honest, it depends. Some bloggers take years before they start earning money and other bloggers earn money immediately. It all depends on you. For me, it took me some time to earn money blogging. I started earning money blogging after 1.5 years. I was still learning how to blog and also juggling a full-time job. I blogged after work, on the weekends and in my spare time to get it up and running. Because of that, it took me awhile to earn money.
Once I started earning money from blogging, it continued to grow. I would say, don’t give up. You have to have patience with your blog and you have to give it love and care and the attention it needs. If you’re looking to fast track your blogging income and avoid the mistakes I made early on, I recommend you take my course on blogging. I give you a step-by-step plan for starting a money making blog from scratch. You can learn more about my course, The Blogging Empire Guide, here.
8. Can you make money from creating a course?
Of course you can. In my opinion, I think creating your own course is a great way to earn income. It will allow you to create a product and then sell it to others time and time again. If you’re serious about your blogging income then maybe this is something you should consider.
I just launched my very first paid course, The Blogging Empire Guide in 2018. I’ve received great reviews from it and it’s doing pretty well. It also allows me to diversify my income. I love being able to help others and creating this course has allowed me to do so.
If you love helping people and you’re looking for a way to earn serious income from your blog, consider creating a course. It allows you to literally create an awesome product and earn profit from that product, over and over again. It’s virtually passive income! You should definitely consider it.
I would suggest you first build an audience and understand what it is they need or want from you. If you plan on blogging about, let’s say for example, travel, find out what it is your audience wants to learn about travel.
Do they want to travel themselves?
Do they want to start a travel blog?
Do they want discounts on hotels and vacation packages?
Once you know what your audience wants to read and learn about, build off of that. Maybe you find out your audience wants to learn how to start a travel blog and read your blog for inspiration. That would give you an idea to possibly create a course on starting a travel blog. Get the idea? So before you spend countless hours creating a course, find your audience and understand their needs.
9. Do I Need An Email List?
By all means, yes! Your email list is equal to your money in the bank. The money is in the list. If you want to take your blogging business to the next level, start growing an email list. It’s never too late but the sooner the better. When I started my blog, I had 1 subscriber; myself! After adding opt-ins to my blog and also being active on social media, my subscriber list grew. It grew even more when I invested in my blog and started paid advertising.
If you’re looking to start your email list, I’d suggest using ConvertKit or Aweber. These are two email marketing platforms that allow you to start an email list. If you’re looking to fast-track your way to growing your email list, I suggest you take my free email course, Back To Basics: List Grow, which shows you how to go from 0 to 1,000 subscribers in 30 days.
Here are my top reasons why you need an email list:
Your subscribers are yours. Unlike other platforms, such as Amazon and eBay, your subscribers are your loyal followers. You can engage with your subscribers by sending them newsletters, updates, tips and tricks to help grow your brand.
The money is in the list. This saying stands true, the money really is in the list. You need an email list to focus on growing your own personal audience. You can share with your audience valuable information and updates about your blog posts and freebies. You can build your audience to sell products and services. Your list is invaluable.
You have a loyal following. Having email subscribers means you have a tribe of folks who are interested in hearing what you have to say. They open your emails, they read your blog posts. This is a wonderful feeling to have people who you inspire to change their lives in some way. Having people who are inspired by you is a totally awesome thing! This should be reason enough to start a list to grow a tribe of people who want to hear from you.
- How To Start A WordPress Blog
- How To Earn Money As A Freelance Writer for Beginners
- 24 Ways To Earn Extra Money
- How To Start A Money Making Blog From Scratch
10. What courses and eBooks do you recommend for bloggers?
I get asked this question a lot. I feel that as a blogger and entrepreneur, it is extremely important to constantly grow and learn as often as possible. Staying up-to-date with the latest changes in the blogging world is a must in order to grow and sustain your blogging business.
Blogging is fun and wonderful, don’t get me wrong. But is also requires work. The effort you put into blogging will allow you to reap the benefits. It is not an overnight money machine. It takes time, dedication and patience.
If you truly want to be successful at blogging, take up some courses and learn more about blogging. Learning about blogging will eliminate mistakes and will allow you to fast-track to success. Taking courses and reading books will allow you to run a successful money making blog from the beginning. It will also help to eliminate the overwhelm of running your blog.
Even though I’ve been blogging on Bonne Chic since 2016, I’ve had previous online businesses in the past. I am always constantly learning myself as I want to stay on top of my game. I encourage you to do the same. There is always new information and something to learn that will help you become an even better blogger.
Here are the ebooks and courses that I recommend for bloggers:
- The Blogging Empire Guide – I started blogging in 2016 and I started with no understanding of how to earn money from a blog. After countless hours of implementing and testing and finally getting it right, I was able to start earning money from my blog by using a few simple strategies and taking them to the next level. I was able to grow my email list and grow with my income all without having a huge following on social media. In my course, I teach you how to start earning money from day 1 to avoid all the headaches I went through when I started out. Now, my blog earns me a great income and I am able to live out my passions. I highly recommend this course if you want to fast-track your blogging income and learn the exact methods I use today to make money blogging.
- Pin to Profits – My friend and blogger, McKinzie Bean, has an awesome course on Pinterest. Her course actually helped me to understand and learn Pinterest. Since taking her course and implementing her strategies, I was able to increase my Pinterest daily viewers by over 200%! Yay 🙂 She’s the blogger at Moms Make Cents and I recommend you check out her course!
- Building An Online Empire From Scratch – I created this eBook in 2017 and my goal was to help other emerging entrepreneurs get it right the first time. I’ve been an entrepreneur for quite some time and I wish I had an eBook or some type of guidance to help me along the way. My eBook is geared towards entrepreneurs, influencers and bloggers. I give you step-by-step hand-held methods on how to build an online empire. Whether you want to start a profitable blog, learn to launch a course or sell a product, this book has got you covered. You will learn how I was able to create and launch a successful six figure clothing line that allowed me to generate over $27,000 per month in sales online. I teach you my exact methods for building online businesses and creating empires.
- Back To Basics 101: List Grow – I can’t stress enough the importance of having an email list. Your email list is truly your bread and butter when it comes to starting a profitable blog. I encourage you to take my free email course, Back To Basics 101: List Grow, which helps new bloggers build an email list from scratch. Use my formulas to grow your email list from 0 to 1,000 subscribers in 30 days. Results are based on your own efforts and the amount of work you put into the course. I highly recommend it to give you a boost in building a list from scratch.
The blogging eBooks and courses will help you to become a successful blogger. Use the tools listed above to help you fast-track your success as a blogger. I wish you the best in your blogging journey! Just remember, you can do anything if you just believe in yourself 🙂
What other questions about blogging do you have? List them in the comments below!